Saturday, June 22, 2013

Culture days (:


Hey guys (:

On our culture days I went to see even more than the ten presentations we were asked to see and I've to say that it was really interesting and I learned a lot of new things about the culture of Ireland and America. The three American culture presentations I listened to were about three very different topics but I liked all of them: the presentations "Comic books and superheroes", "Two Heroines of American Aviation: Amelia Earheart and Bessie Coleman" and "Huricane Preparedness" were all well prepared and well presented topics.
As much as I liked the American presentations - the Irish ones appealed even more to me. I listened to the presentations "Languages of Irish Travellers", "This is Friz!", "Witchcraft of Ireland", "Abortion Law in Ireland - A Pro-Choice View", "The history of ISL", "Hill of Tara - Historical and spiritual at the same time", "Poetry in Irish schools", "Hero or Enemy? How the World sees Bobby Sands", "The Integration of Islam in Ireland", "Homophobic Bullying in Irish schools", "The St. Magdalene Laundries in Ireland". When I say that I liked all of them I really mean that because they had all interesting aspects and I learned things I hadn't known before. One thing I really liked was to see how different the topics were presented and how well everyone hid their nervousness. Let's admit it - we were all really nervous ;)
Altough I liked all of the presentations about Ireland I managed to decide on the five which I liked most and chose these five for my KGP:
My first topic is "Homophobic Bullying in Irish schools" because I liked Shirin's presentations and I'm generally interested in this topic because I think every kind of bullying is awful and to tyrannise someone because of his or her sexual orientation is gruesome and abhorrent. This is why I chose this presentations because I think it is important to talk about topics like that.
The second presentation is "The St. Magdalene Laundries in Ireland". At first, I didn't think that this was a topic I would choose but Theresa's presentation awoke my interest. The topic was touching and the injustice which happened to these women didn't leave me cold.
"Hero or Enemy? How the world sees Bobby Sands" is the next topic I decided to choose. The main reason is because we already heard about Bobby Sands in the CLI's and I found it that interesting that I wanted to choose him myself for my culture presentation. In addition to that, I liked the way Alex organised her presentation.
The fourth topic that really appealed to me was "Witchcraft of Ireland". Sabrina's way of presenting really appealed to me and the topic is also very interesting and exciting. When she told me the idea of choosing this topic it was immediately clear that I would choose it for my KGP.
Last but not least, the last topic I decided on was "Abortion Law in Ireland - A Pro-Choice View". I wasn't able to see the presentation on the culture day but Andrina told me a lot about her topic and therefore I am sure that I've all the details I've to know about. This topic is probably one that interesets every woman and it is always a current topic and which is worth knowing about.

These are the topics I chose for my KGP and whichever I'll have to talk about I'm sure if there are any problems it won't be because of the topics I chose since I'm looking forward to learning them ;)



2 comments:

  1. You're the first to choose my topic - thanks a lot. I can present it solely for you if you wish. It would be my pleasure :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cool that you choose my topic! :-)

    ReplyDelete